This takes less than a minute. Work this out as you read .
Be sure you don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!
1. How many Great-Grandparents do you have full name, date of birth, and date of death for?
Secondary spouses don't count. Only (pardon the redundancy) direct ancestors count.
2. Multiply by the number of biological parents you have, regardless of whether or not you have any information on them. (Everyone should have the same answer here. 2.)
3. Add the number next to your paternal grandmother on your ahnentafel chart. (Once again, everyone should have the same number. 5.)
4. To honor the year the Roman Emperor, Claudius, adopted Nero -- Multiply it by 50
5. To honor the birth of Revolutionary War soldier, Nicholas Fish, add 1758.
6. If you haven't had your birthday yet this year, subtract 1.
7. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
You should have a three digit number
The first digit of this is the number of great grandparents you have all that information on!
The next two numbers are:
Don't deny it!
Note: This will not work if you are at least 100 years old. (But, congratulations!) This will also have to be tweaked, just a little, in future years. Only one step will have to be changed, though. I'll leave it up to you to figure out which one.