from genealogy blogs, newspaper articles and elsewhere
This week, the Geneablogging community lost one of its own. Terry Thornton of the Hill Country of Monroe County, MS and Hill Country H.O.G.S. Webbpress blogs, and founder of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits, passed away on August 9, 2010.
Many have been posting memories and tributes. Below are a few of them:
- What's Past is Prologue
- The Educated Genealogist
- Creative Gene
- The Graveyard Rabbit (3 posts)
- Lincecum Lineage
- West in New England
- Smoky Mountain Family Historian
- Tamura Jones at Modern Software Experience discusses Adoption in Genealogy and introduces a modified ahnenlist that accommodates both adopted and birth families.
- A joyful story of two twin adoptees being reunited after 59 years (hat tip: Leland Meitzler at GenealogyBlog)
- The National Archives has been expanding and improving their online collection of Matthew Brady's Civil War photographs.
- Dan Curtis provides 12 ways to ensure your personal history business fails - for those tired of reading lists of ways to succeed.
- Robert at The MyHeritage Blog asks - What's in a name? - looking at some studies that have shown how names can impact success, and even life expectancy.
- Linda McCauley at Documenting the Details reminds us that a documented source isn't always a valid source.
- James Tanner at Genealogy's Star compares Scanners vs Digital Cameras for preserving genealogical documents.
- Daniel Hubbard at Personal Past Mediations discusses Geneanthropology and the need to understand the cultural context of our ancestor's lives.
Other Weekly Lists
The genealogy bloggers below provide their selections for the week - many different from my own.
Amanuensis Monday: August 9th participants
[Amanuensis Monday is a weekly blogging theme I began in February of 2009, where participants transcribe letters, audio, and other documents. Why I do this.]
Apple at Apple's Tree
Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings
Ginger Smith at Genealogy by Ginger
Leah at The Internet Genealogist
Barbara Poole at Life from the Roots
Anonymous at Nolichucky Roots
Heather Wilkinson Rojo at Nutfield Genealogy
Lisa Wallen Logsdon at Old Stones Undeciphered
Martin Hollick at The Slovak Yankee (2 entries)
RootsResearcher at So That's Where I Get it From
John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch
Kevin Walker at Who We Were, Are & Will Be Our Family
If you participated, but don't appear on this list, please, let me know.