Highlights from news stories and blog posts I have read in the past week that deal with my overlapping interests in Genealogy, History, Heritage, and Technology.
- Lynn Palermo at The Armchair Genealogist brings back The Family History Writing Challenge for its third year.
- Letters of Note posts a letter written by a 16-year-old Sidney Poitier, asking President Roosevelt for a loan, so he could afford to return to his family the Bahamas. He didn't get the loan, which is rather fortunate for theater history.
- Matthew Inman, at The Oatmeal, shares a cartoon memoir: When Your House is Burning, You Should Brush Your Teeth. He manages to inject a good amount of humor into the retelling, and concludes with a scanned newspaper article documenting the events.
- Genealogy News Corral - Beth - GenealogyInsider
- Ruth's Recommendations - Ruth Blair - The Passionate Genealogist
- Fab Finds - Jana Last - Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog
- From the Blogs - Michael J. Leclerc - Mocavo Genealogy Blog
- Monday Morning Mentions - Lynn Palermo - Armchair Genealogist
- Best of the Genea-Blogs - Randy Seaver - GeneaMusings
- Friday Finds - Julie Cahill Tarr - GenBlog
Two Week Calendar
- Jan 13 - Maghi (Sikh)
- Jan 13 - Orthodox New Year/Old New Year (Eastern Orthodox)
- Jan 14 - Ratification Day (US)
- Jan 17 - Blessings of the Animals (Hispanic Catholic)
- Jan 19 - Timkat (Ethiopian Orthodox Christian)
- Jan 20 - World Religion Day (Baha'i)
- Jan 21 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (US)
- Jan 24 - Mawlid an Nabi (Islam)
- Jan 25 - Conversion of St. Paul (Christian)
- Jan 26 - Tu B'shvat (Jewish)
- Jan 27 - Mahayana New Year (Buddhist)
- Jan 27 - International Holocaust Remembrance Day